Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Pickle Relish Sandwich

This morning my daughter made a pickle relish and ketchup sandwich for her lunch. I've never seen her do that before.

"Honey, do you want some ham on that?" I said.

"No, I don't like ham."

"but you want a pickle relish sandwich?"

Child rolls her eyes at mother.

"Well, okay," I say, "I get it, I love pickle relish too."

Yeah, I made pickle relish sandwiches in college. Because I was broke. Developed a taste for them. I don't know if the kids have ever caught me still doing that, in the corners of their lives.

Right now I have peanut butter and jam in the house, and ham, and tortellini, salad stuff, ritz crackers, several containers of restaurant leftovers, and sufficient cash for school lunch. But my daughter wants a pickle relish sandwich.

Good think there are no rich people police.

No comments: