Monday, November 17, 2008

Like the star of a Woody Allen movie

Those Woody Allen women. Living in amazing Manhattan apartments with lots of books, wearing great hats, and spending an hour each week in analysis.

I can be rich and neurotic too. But, since it's a New Century, I'm not going to hire a Freudian analyst. I'm hiring a Personal Coach. Talking to you blog readers here has helped me so much, and Thanks Again for the Comments. However, I need some practical encouragement on how to handle my schedule and my house, whether or not I'm still looking for a job (Before I became such a lady of leisure, I was working on getting employable this year, if not outright employed.) And maybe someone to report to, when I have another one of those days when I do no housework or cooking. i still seem to spend so much time stunned.

yes, we should all be stunned by sudden money.

I sent my prospective coach pictures of my totally messy house to quickly explain my organization problem. And an email of how I spent my time one typically crazy day. All those kid pick-up and drop-offs, and delivering the forgotten lunch, and squeezing the dinner in before some athletic practice or school event or youth activity. Ms. Coach acknowledged me, in her reply email, for all I'm doing to support my kids. Which was interesting, because all I had seen were the inefficiencies. And interesting, because she undercounted how many kids there are.

And I asked her if she would be comfortable working with a Mormon. Because Mormon I am, and if she believed I just took away her/others' right to marry, then perhaps our working relationship would be strained.

My first idea was to hire a caretaker, like you might hire for an aging parent, if I could find one who would do housework alongside me, and interrupt my train of thought by starting a conversation when I get the thousand dollar stare.

In a normal world, I suppose I would have asked for help from a visiting teacher. Or found a friend to play trade-off organization/declutter buddy.

Yes, that's the other thing for my coach list. I should figure out how to make some friends. I thought I was too busy before.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Hey, I would love to be friends with you (and it has absolutely nothing to do with all that money sitting there doing nothing--er, really!) This post totally cracked me up all the way through! security word: bratiz
kind of makes one think.

Heidi said...

And, oh yeah, outright employment is for the birds. security word:
rehabb

b. said...

Hmmmm...rehabb's not all that bad.

I can't wait to hear how this search turns out!

JB said...

rehabb's not that bad...ha, you have me thinking of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. There's so much to discover on cable t.v.

I turned off that anti-spam word thing. So you'll have to invent your own security words from here on out. :)

Reluctant Nomad said...

"Yes, that's the other thing for my coach list. I should figure out how to make some friends. I thought I was too busy before."

When you figure that out, let me know.