Thursday, November 6, 2008

Is there an obligation to look good? All the time?

Yes, I have been watching more cable television. In a way, isn't that letting myself down? Let's face it, to the degree I ever fantasized about having money before money unexpectedly happened, I never was thinking "ah, if I were rich, I would sit on the couch and watch lots of cable t.v.!"

I've been watching What Not To Wear. And Tim Gunn's Guide to Style. So last night, being at some store that will be open after 9:30 p.m., buying some unexpected office supply item my kid absolutely needs to finish some two-week project in one night, I found myself wondering would Tim Gunn approve-or would he at least forgive?

No he would not. Because, even if you throw a classic trench coat over it, and carry a $400 purse, Tim Gunn does not approve of wearing gray sweatpants and a t-shirt when you run an errand.

And he's right.

But he told me about 15 minutes too late.   In this way, Tim Gunn differs from a spiritual prompting.

==

Now as I'm writing this, I wonder if I really would ever stop and take more time redressing myself after most the kids are in bed. The trick must be to have the errand outfit hanging on a hook--like a bathrobe, or a superwoman costume. Actually, most definitely like a superwoman costume.

Maybe Tim should get back to me after he has a handful of kids.

6 comments:

Carina said...

No Excuses. None.

Heidi said...

Is that likely to happen? For him to have kids, I mean? I'm no Tim Gunn but I think that if you are going to spend money on clothes anyway, they might as well be "right". You know? I mean, why look like a bag lady when you don't have to? On the other hand, if you are comfy in your old clothes, there is no crime in wearing them. Just don't spend money unless you are going to look like you know what you're doing--you know, get the whole bang out of your buck and all that.

JB said...

AzĂșcar: You are a style maven! I will think of your emerald-cut diamond class and try harder, next time I'm running out for a glue stick or post-it notes at 10 p.m.

Heidi, you're right about spend the money so I look like I know what I'm doing. Tim would tell me is that spending money is not a substitute for taste and planning. He would tell me to "make it work!" I could have put on better clothes than sweatpants, though I wanted to stay in my pajamas. Putting a trenchcoat over exercise clothes, and carrying an expensive purse, that's not fooling anyone.

I think before, I used to excuse myself, by saying I didn't have the money to dress properly. Now I know it's not the money, it is making an effort that I'm not used to making.

Carina said...

All I'm saying is that you're getting dressed anyway, make it work.

Justine said...

I've been recently chastised by "What Not To Wear", too! But I could just never look that good on my own. Honestly, I'd need those people to tell me what to put on my body every single morning!

Shelah said...

I consider myself lucky when I make it out of the house and I'm wearing shoes. Tim Gunn would hate me.